The media's new obsession over whether John Roberts is or was a member of the Federalist Society is pretty foolish. I know members whose political views range from moderate conservatives (more moderate than, say, O'Connor or Kennedy) to Christian rightists to libertarian anarchist individualists. Judicial philosophy ranges from Borkean anti-judicial review views to Randy Barnettian presumptions of liberty. In short, membership in the Federalist Society tells you nothing about a nominee except that he or she is not "on the left", which one presumes would be true about any Bush Supreme Court nominee.
All Related Posts (on one page) | Some Related Posts:
- Were the votes of Justices Ginsburg and Breyer in NOW v. Scheidler
- Many John Roberts-Related Documents --
- NARAL Pulls Anti-Roberts Ad,...
- Mauro on Roberts:
- Roberts and the Federalist Society:
- Have You Ever Been a Member of the Federalist Society?
- Is Roberts a Fellow Traveler?:
- John Roberts Does Not Belong To The Federalist Society: