Pepper Spray/Tear Gas in New York City:

N.Y. City Admin. Code § 10-131(e) requires a permit to possess or carry "any lachrymating, asphyxiating, incapacitating or deleterious gas or gases, or liquid or liquids, or chemical or chemicals." But I'm getting mixed information -- including from police precincts -- about whether such permits are available, and whom I need to ask for such a permit; nor could I find any online instructions for this process, including permit application forms and the like.

Do any of our readers know more about this, or have personal experience with getting such permits?